Last Updated: 19 April 2021
- What information we collect, who we collect it from and why we collect it;
- How we use that information;
- The circumstances in which we may disclose that information to others; and
- Your choices in relation to your information, including how you can access and correct that information.
1. Information we collect
We may collect the following information about you:
- Information you give us: We may collect personal information about you when you register for events, subscribe to our newsletters or mailing lists, enter The Web Guys promotions or surveys or join our supporters club. We may also collect personal information about you when you purchase our products and services and otherwise communicate with us. This personal information may include your name, contact details, email address, credit card details, place of work, position and other details necessary for us to provide the information or services you have requested.
- Information you authorise others to give us: When you inquire about or purchase products and services from us, we may ask for your consent to collect information about you from others (for example, to undertake credit checks, obtain references or to co-operate with your other service providers or suppliers). In these instances, we may collect information about you from the sources that you have authorised, such as credit rating agencies, service providers and referees.
- Information from your use of our services: We may record information about how you use and interact with our services, for example, how, when, where and how often you use our products and services, login information and the internet protocol address of the device you use to access our services. We may also maintain records of your communications with our customer support team and other staff, including phone calls, e-mails and live chat logs.
- Information from your use of our website: We receive information when you interact with and use our website. We use server logs and different Web analytic tools to help us record this information (including ‘cookies’, ‘pixel tags’ and other anonymous identifiers). These tools may gather information such as what browser and operating system you use, the URL of the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave our website, search terms, your location and what content, products and services are viewed when visiting or registering for services on our website.
We also use third party service providers (for example, Google) to help us track the effectiveness of our website, generate visitor traffic and to display targeted advertising. These advertisements may collect anonymous information about your visits to the website on which such advertisement is placed, your interaction with these ads and the products and services offered by us and others through the use of a cookie (such as a Google Analytics or Double Click cookie) pixel tag or other web technologies. We, Google and other selected marketing organisations may use this anonymous information to inform, optimise and provide targeted advertisements to you.
Our website may also contain links and advertisements which link to third party websites. We have no control over the privacy policies of such third parties and we encourage you to review such policies prior to providing any information to or purchasing goods or services from such third parties.
2. How we use information we collect
We may use the personal information collected by us for the following purposes:
- providing you with information, products or services that you have requested;
- verifying that existing information that we hold about you is accurate and complete;
- maintaining and improving our services and website, training our staff and monitoring use of our website and services;
- confirming your identity, controlling unauthorised use or abuse of our services and verifying compliance with applicable laws;
- undertaking credit checks, invoicing and authorising and processing credit card transactions;
- assisting us in performing our obligations or enforcing our rights under any agreement we may have entered into with you;
- communicating with you to inform you about our services, letting you know about upcoming changes, improvements or new products and services you may be interested in;
- to undertake any other promotional activities where you have consented to such promotional activities;
- providing you with effective customer service and otherwise helping to solve any issues or problems you may have with our services or website; and
- for the purposes identified in any specific supplemental privacy notice posted on the page or area of our website where you provided that information.
We may use anonymous or ‘non-personally identifiable’ information:
- to personalise and support your use of our website, our services, and/or the services of our customers;
- to improve our website, the customer experience, our marketing systems, and our products and services;
- to identify actions or transactions that originate through an affiliate marketing or supporter referral program;
- to deliver targeted advertisements on our website and other third party websites;
- to provide reporting to our current and prospective service providers; and
- for other historical, statistical or research and analysis purposes.
We keep your personal information only as long as we need it for the purposes for which it was originally collected (or to which you have subsequently consented), for other legitimate purposes (such as regulatory compliance) and as permitted or required by applicable laws.
We store and process information (both personal and non-personally identifiable information) on servers in several different countries around the world, including New Zealand, Australia, the United States and the United Kingdom. We may, therefore, hold or process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live. Information held in another country may be subject to the privacy laws of that country and may permit government and other regulatory authorities to access such information in certain circumstances.
3. Information The Web Guys shares
Ensuring and respecting your privacy is important to us. We do not sell, trade, rent or otherwise share your personal information with third parties unless one of the following circumstances apply:
- With your consent: We may share personal information with third parties when we have your express consent to do so.
- With your employer: If your employer is our customer and your interactions with us or use of our services is in the course of your employment, your employer will have access to the information you have provided to us (including records of communications, login information and other data).
- With our contractors and service providers: We sometimes engage other trusted businesses and persons to provide services and perform functions on our behalf (for example, our digital business specialists, content specialists and credit card providers). We may provide such persons with access to personal information needed to perform their functions, based on our instructions and in accordance with appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality measures.
- Jointly provided services: In some cases, we may provide services jointly with other businesses or organisations. For such ‘co-branded’ offerings in which a third party is involved, we may share or jointly collect customer information with that third party. In such cases, we will make it clear at the outset who is collecting or receiving the information and whose privacy statement governs its use.
- For legal purposes: We reserve the right to disclose your personal information as required by law and when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect or enforce our rights, to protect against harm or the rights, property or safety of others or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on us.
Occasionally we may send information or offers to you on behalf of other organisations or businesses. When we do this, however, we do not share your personal information with those other organisations or businesses.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our contractors, service providers and other third parties such as marketing, search and research organisations, for example, Google.
4. Your information choices
When you provide personal information, we may offer you a choice as to whether you would like to receive further communications from us or from our partners, such as communications related to updates, upgrades and special offers. You have the right to withdraw your consent to receive such communications at any time. If you decide you no longer want to receive marketing communications or third-party promotions administered by us, you may let us know by emailing us at [email protected] or by following any unsubscribe link in our emails. Please specify which consent you are revoking in your email to us.
You may set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our website or services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. If you set your browser to reject all cookies, however, you may not be able to use all of the features and functionalities of our website or our services.
If you would like to know more about the use of anonymous browsing information to provide targeted advertisements for goods and services and your choices about not having this anonymous information used, please visit:
- The Google Ads Preferences Manager where you can customise Google Display Network ads or opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising; and
- www.networkadvertising.org/consumer/opt_out.asp which provides more general information about your options and third party service providers who collect anonymous information for advertising purposes.
5. Accessing and Correcting Personal Information
If you contact us we may, for your protection, ask you for additional information to verify your identity. We will use all reasonable efforts to provide the access you request within 10 working days and will correct or delete any inaccurate personal information you discover unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes.
6. Information Security
To protect your private information as you enter it on our website, The Web Guys uses encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol. When you pay online by credit card, The Web Guys uses a PCI-DSS compliant third-party payment gateway to securely process the payment.
7. How we retain your personal information
The precise periods for which we keep your personal information vary depending on the nature of the information and why we need it. Factors we consider in determining these periods include the minimum required retention period prescribed by law or recommended as best practice, the period during which a claim can be made with respect to an agreement or other matter, whether the personal information has been aggregated or pseudonymised, and other relevant criteria. For example, the period we keep your email address is connected to how long your account is active, while the period for which we keep a support message is based on how long has passed since the last submission in the thread.
You may have a seasonal site or come back to us after an account becomes inactive, we don’t immediately delete your personal information if you cancel all services. Instead, we keep your personal information for a reasonable period of time, so it will be there for you if you come back.
Please note that in the course of providing our services, we collect and maintain aggregated, anonymised or de-personalised information which we may retain indefinitely.
8. End users’ personal information
Our customers who have created a site using The Web Guys are responsible for what they do with the personal information they collect, directly or through The Web Guys, about their end users. This section is directed to such customers.
1. Your relationship with end users
You're solely responsible for complying with any laws and regulations that apply to your collection and use of your end users’ information, including personal information you collect about them from us or using website technology or cookies or similar technologies.
We’re not liable for your relationship with your end users or how you collect and use personal information about them, and we won’t provide you with any legal advice regarding such matters.
2. End-user payment information
Your end users’ payment information may be processed via third-party eCommerce Payment Processors with which you integrate your website, in accordance with such eCommerce Payment Processors’ terms and policies. We transmit your end users’ complete payment information when they initially provide or update it only so that we can pass it along to the eCommerce Payment Processors you agree to use. We don’t collect or store your end users’ payment information.
10. How to contact us